Even if it's a CAT5 or CAT6 configuration, the straight cable is used to connect two different devices such as :
- Connect a computer to a switch/hub's normal port.
- Connect a computer to a cable/DSL modem's LAN port.
- Connect a router's WAN port to a cable/DSL modem's LAN port.
- Connect a router's LAN port to a switch/hub's uplink port.
- Connect 2 switches/hubs with one of the switch/hub using an uplink port and the other one using normal port.
The colored wires simply tell you how to make the connection and how to properly configure the cables.