User was running Windows 7, with Outlook 2007, 20 GB PST. User has two email accounts, 1 may be an IMAP, 1 may be POP, or both can be POP (I'll check if necessary). No Exchange accounts. Outlook wouldn't start, so I used SCANPST to repair (took hours, of course). Outlook ran slowly, but now is getting stuck again. Ran Windows 7 error checking, with "Scan For and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
My thought was to:
- Restart with startup items turned off.
- Upgrade to Office 2013
- See if Outlook will open the PST
- Run SCANPST again
- Does SCANPST compact the PST ?
- Should I compact after running SCANPST ?
- If I get Outlook Running, should I move old messages to separate PST files, a year at a time?
- Any 3rd party repair tools that I can use?